Monday, July 18, 2011

More Choices, but Do They Really Matter?





Today's spread uses cards from Tarot of the Sweet Twilight (English and Spanish Edition). It's no secret that I am about to be jobless again (by choice), and I am trying to figure out what path to take. Last night I did this spread to see if I could get a little light on the subject.

The 2 of Wands is often about choices, and is perfect for the subject matter. Which path should I pursue? Where is my life headed? Do I follow the money or my dreams? What will happen? The Tarot of the Sweet Twilight 2 of Wands, however, says, "It is odd, isn't it, that while there are really so many paths to choose from that they all, in the end, lead to the same place? How much does that realization affect our choices?" This was like a lightening bolt, or maybe a hammer upside the head. It also reminded me of something I've been hearing a lot lately: what would you choose to do if you knew you could not fail?

Rachel Pollack, in Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom: Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings, reminds us that wands are fire cards, cards of action. The 2 of Wands indicates someone trying to find balance between two options or to make a choice between them. "The first is to stay in his secure castle, the second is to leave and seek adventure in the manner of Wands' fire energy. Fire does not like to be contained, for then it would go out."

The King of Pentacles often indicates my husband in my readings. It is a reminder not to leave him out. As an aspect of myself, this card also encourages me to conquer my goals and make some money while doing so. It is interesting that this is known as the elemental combination Fire of Earth, indicating that this King can take his fire energy and ground it in a realistic and successful manner.

9 of Chalices (Cups) is about seeking after greater goals. This card can indicate being emotionally overwhelmed at times. However, my husband, who is my greatest supporter, is there as usual (he's the little fish in the corner - Pisces).

What do I need to learn about my path? For this card, I added up the numbers on the other cards (2+9) and got 11. My immediate reaction was, that's weird - Justice is my least favorite card! In this deck, however, Justice is 8. Strength is 11, which makes perfect sense in this reading. I love this particular Strength card. I always find Strength to indicate inner strength, self-esteem, and becoming more of who we are on our paths. I often see the Lion we face as an aspect of ourselves, our own strength, and something we have learned to bring out and control.

There are two other important aspects of this particular card. First, the woman is holding a mask that she has recently removed. She is no longer pretending to be something she is not in order to fit in with society's views or what others tell her she "should" be. She is finally coming into her own and has the confidence and grace to believe in herself. Second, Yoda is sitting on the table beside her. I'm a huge Star Wars nut, and this just makes me happy all the way around. This is also an indication that the woman has support, and there will be a mentor (or several) involved to help out. It also reminds her that others have blazed a trail before her. Joseph Campbell said that one of the reasons we love stories about heroes so much is that it makes it seem possible for the rest of us. Once one person has accomplished something, it automatically makes it easier for the next people to accomplish it (this was especially true with running the 4-minute mile. If you've never looked into that, I highly encourage you to do so).

The Result: 2 of Chalices (Cups) - spending time with my husband, happiness, emotional connection. This is a really great card to get, especially since lately we've barely been able to spend any time together due to my job.

So I know which path I want to take. I just have to find my Strength and courage to do it.
Get Free Updates:
*Please click on the confirmation link sent in your Spam folder of Email*

No comments:

Post a Comment